Monday, November 1, 2010

Jury-rigged: Bike Helmet Headlamp


images from my crappy iphone 3gs camera

Now that I've been going on 20+ mile bike rides on Monday evenings, my Planet Bike Spok light set doesn't really cut it... it meaning the vast darkness that arrives after 7 PM. The front LEDs keep me visible to oncoming traffic, but I have to avoid poorly lit streets. One black pothole and me loosening my grip on the handlebars and down I would go. I've read good reviews of Planet Bike's powerful 2 Watt Blaze headlight, but at $60, it's going to have to wait. I'm currently trying to find a way to use my camping headlamp, the Petzl Zipka. As you can see above, this is attempt one. The light rest on the middle front vent, and the backpiece is wedged out one of the side back vents. Both parts are "secured" with black electrical tape. I will take this out on a ride tonight and see how well it works. If it rattles or doesn't stay put, I may have to try to mold a mounting case out of Sugru and zip tie that to the helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment