Thursday, July 1, 2010

Korin Fruit Knife



I have an unhealthy obsession with knives. This coupled with a general ignorance about their various styles and materials doesn't really help me in the kitchen. After reading forum comments on the uber-popular Shun knives (thinking about replacing my cheap, dull Cuisinart paring knife), I found myself on the Korin website. I educated myself by skimming the linked articles on the Learn tab, found out that their 15% off sale was going on until July 31, and drooled over the fairly affordable $40-60 offerings until I came across this fruit knife. It's easily 1/10 of the price of the next cheapest knife up. I'll wager a guess that this is because it is probably not lovingly handmade by an expert craftsman, and because the blade is mere stainless steel. It won't hold an edge as long as a blade with more carbon, so it needs more frequent sharpening, but it also won't rust. I also like that it has a more traditional Japanese look, with the simple cylindrical wooden handle. This would make a great picnic/ outdoors knife, with its convenient sheath, and would probably rival similarly priced plastic handled paring knives.

Made in: Japan
Handmade? Not sure.

$4.35

No comments:

Post a Comment