Thursday, September 9, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

Inspired by the Amish's view of technology (article), I ordered a Lehman's catalog. I leafed through it while waiting for my sick brother at the clinic- it's filled with so many amazing old tools, machines, and natural products. As much as I would like to try, I will probably not be purchasing the cast iron meat grinder, grain mill, olive lamps, wood-burning stove ... ever. Unless, of course, I get around to building my apocalypse, off-the-grid cabin later on. One of the items in the catalog is a homemade laundry soap starter set. The ingredients are Arm & Hammer baking soda, Borax, and Fels Naptha, all old-school cleaning solutions. The copy claims that each load will cost you less than 6 cents; it's about 7 cents with shipping and handling. I pay about 15 cents per load using my Seventh Generation 2x detergent. It seems to add up over time, so I may try to make my own next time. A frugal lifestyle blog I read had a post in 2008 about this, where each load comes out to about 2 cents. Go figure.

Made in: USA / your house
Homemade? Yes- by you

$50 (or $10, if you buy the ingredients yourself)

No comments:

Post a Comment